Amputee Specialty Program
After experiencing an amputation of an arm or leg, you may need additional training which may be best provided at an acute rehabilitation setting. You deserve the care of a top rated rehabilitation institute. We provide advanced specialty rehabilitation for patients who have experienced the loss of a limb. We admit patients with traumatic and non-traumatic amputations.
Our Approach to Amputation Rehabilitation
We understand how challenging it is to recover from the loss of an arm or leg- whether it is a result of a traumatic event such as a motor vehicle accident or a non-traumatic illness related to diabetes or heart disease. We know that your goal is to return to an active life as quickly as possible- and we want to help you do just that.
Our Amputee Specialty Team
Our team includes specialty trained therapists and certified rehabilitation registered nurses (CRRN’s) who focus on healing your surgical wound and helping you regain safe movement and self-care such as bathing and dressing. Our board certified rehabilitation physicians have experience in caring for persons who have had amputations. Our therapists use equipment and techniques to help you regain strength to return to your home and community as quickly as possible. Your Prosthetist is an important consultant to our team who will continue working with you as you adjust to your new limb. Our Case Manager and Social Worker will assist you with making arrangements to prepare you to go home and/or outpatient services and connect you with resources for transitioning back into your community.
Our Specialized Amputee Rehabilitation Services
- Training in wheelchair mobility, ambulation as able, and self-care tasks
- Family and caregiver education, community resources and support group services
- Wheelchair accessible van to take you into the community for practice and to have fun
- Multi-surface outdoor therapy area to practice wheelchair mobility on all types of surfaces
- Supportive counseling for you and your family to assist you as you adjust to a new lifestyle
- An apartment where you and your family member can “practice” – with support- before returning home
Why Choose Us?
Sutter Rehabilitation Institute is the only CARF Accredited Amputation Specialty Program in northern California, and is 1 of only 4 accredited programs throughout the state.
Jordan Frederick has made a miraculous comeback from a serious hiking accident two years ago that nearly claimed his life. During a hike above Angora Lake, the active father of two took a 75-foot fall into the lake, sustaining multiple injuries.
Read Jordan's story
Read More Patient Stories
- Comprehensive Inpatient Rehabilitation (Adults & Adolescents)
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Brain Injury Rehabilitation (Adults & Adolescents)
- Amputation Rehabilitation
- Spinal Cord System of Care
More Information on CARF