Spinal Cord Injury Program
As you get ready to leave the hospital after a spinal cord injury, you have a very important decision to make regarding the next steps of your recovery. You deserve the care of a top rated rehabilitation institute.
We excel in providing advanced specialty rehabilitation for patients who have sustained a spinal cord injury. We are able to admit patients with traumatic and non-traumatic spinal cord injuries.
Our Approach to Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
We understand how difficult it is to recover from a spinal cord injury – whether a result of a traumatic event or continued healing after a spinal surgery. We know that your goal is to return to a productive life as quickly as you can – and we want to help you do just that.
Our Spinal Cord Injury Team
Our team includes specialty trained therapists and certified rehabilitation registered nurses (CRRN’s) who focus on bowel/bladder care, skin integrity, self-care and mobility. Our Medical Director is Board Certified in Spinal Cord Injury Medicine, and all of our board-certified rehabilitation physicians have experience in caring for spinal cord injured patients. Our spinal cord injury peer counselor – who himself sustained a spinal cord injury many years ago – is passionate about helping each person return to a productive lifestyle. Our recreation therapy specialist can show you new ways to follow your passions and return to the community.
Our Specialized Spinal Cord Rehabilitation Services
- Training in wheelchair mobility and ambulation as able
- Bowel/bladder retraining
- Training in self-care
- Family and caregiver education
- Wheelchair accessible van to take you into the community for practice or fun
- Multi-surface outdoor therapy area to practice wheelchair mobility on all types of surfaces
- Supportive counseling for you and your family to assist you as you adjust to a new lifestyle
- An apartment where you and your family member can “practice” - with support - before returning home
- Spinal Cord Support Group for current patients and spinal cord injury survivors in Placer County
Why Choose Us?
Sutter Rehabilitation Institute is the only CARF Accredited Spinal Cord System of Care in northern California, outside of the Bay Area. This special designation was awarded to us based on our focus on quality, performance improvement and outcomes. It recognizes the expertise of our physicians and staff in addressing the specialized needs of the individual with spinal cord injury, and acknowledges our system of care which includes follow-up clinic with the Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation physician and therapy specialist, as well as outpatient services.
- Spinal Cord Injury Information Network
- Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation Paralysis Resource Center
- National Spinal Cord Injury Association Resource Center
- United Spinal Organization
- Medline Plus – Spinal Cord Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injury - For Your Information resource Directory (SCI-FYI) – Rehabilitation Research Center at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
- Personal Care Manuages and Guides (Shepherd Center)
What started as an innocent Cub Scout outing quickly turned into an unexpected nightmare for Cub Master, Matt, who was accidently paralyzed and left fighting to get his life back.
Read Matt's story
Read More Patient Stories