Before Your Surgery
Sutter Roseville Medical Center
Before Your Surgery
The following instructions cover information common to most surgeries. Because no two patients or procedures are alike, be sure to talk with your doctor or nursing staff to learn about special instructions they might have. If there is any conflict between the directions your physician gives you and those you find in this brochure, follow your doctor’s instructions.
- Register for your surgery: Before your surgery, please Register Online.
- Anesthesia Question Form - please complete the Anesthesia Health Questionnaire (.pdf). Once you have completed this form, print it out and bring it with you on the day of your surgery.
- Transportation: Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home after surgery. Under no circumstances can you drive yourself or take public transportation.
- Food and Drink: Do not eat or drink anything after 11pm the night before your surgery, unless otherwise instructed.
- Minors: Patients who are 0-17 years MUST have a parent or guardian stay at the facility for the patient’s entire stay, even during surgery.
- Child Care: Please arrange for child care for siblings. There is no play area at the center and the wait will be 4-5 hours.
- Alcohol: Do not consume any alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Tobacco: Do not smoke or use tobacco products one week before your surgery.
- Medications: Be sure to discuss your medications and vitamin supplements with your physician. Ask if you need to modify your intake and the best way to do so. Avoid any over-the-counter medications, including aspirin and ibuprofen, during the week before surgery, and avoid herbal supplements two weeks before.
Three days before your surgery, please let your doctor or our staff know if you feel you may be running a fever or coming down with the flu or other illness. Depending on your surgery, your doctor may prefer to reschedule for a time when you feel better.